Monday, February 12, 2007

Quinoa Whole Wheat Bread

Quinoa is something that I always mean to eat more of, but I never manage to do anything creative with it usually having it alongside a stir fry. So I found this recipe for a whole wheat bread including quinoa and thought I would try it. I modified it slightly and it turned out really well. I haven’t ever added vital wheat gluten to my bread before and I think this made a difference...I definitely think it was less “stodgy” than any other whole wheat bread I have made. It was a bit crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and a little bit of a bite all the way through it from the quinoa. I made 3 small loaves (one in a tin, and 2 not in tins)

And, have you ever seen a field of quinoa growing? Isn’t it pretty?
Photo Source

Here’s the recipe:

Quinoa Whole Wheat Bread Recipe (makes 3 small loaves)

1 cup, whole uncooked quinoa
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1½ cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten flour
1 tsp salt

Directions

1 Thoroughly rinse quinoa in a sieve under a running tap.
2 In a small bowl combine half the water, the yeast and the sugar. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy on top.
3 In a large bowl combine flours, quinoa and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flours and pour in water/yeast.
4 Mix well with your hand until water is soaked up. Gradually add remaining water as needed, until a soft, moist dough is formed.
5 Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
6 Place dough in a large, oiled bowl and cover with a dish towel. Leave to prove in a warm, draught-free place for about 1½ hours, until doubled in size.
7 Knock air out of dough by kneading for another minute or so. Now make it in to the desired shape. I made 3 small loaves, but next time I think I will do one large one. Score across top of loaves with a knife if desired. Place on oiled baking tray or tin and leave to prove for another 1½ hours.
8 Preheat oven to 400F (200c). Bake loaves for around 30 minutes, until brown and sound hollow when tapped.

5 comments:

aTxVegn said...

I made some quinoa bread awhile back and I loved it! I think the recipe I had was pretty similar to yours.

Your Vegetable Love post is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

sorry but what is quinoa

Mandrake said...

sorry, but what is quinoa

Mandrake said...

sorry, what is quinoa

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously believe
this website needs a lot more attention. I'll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the information!

Feel free to surf to my homepage :: how to lose Weight Fast for women