Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sunflower Lentil Pie

Another recipe from Vive Le Vegan! Another fantastic recipe I might add! I think I am just going to work my way through this entire book trying everything! It’s like a loaf made with sunflower seeds and lentils combined with onion, oats, celery and flavoured with ketchup, tamari and Worcestershire sauce. I served it with Sesame Mustard Tahini Sauce (also from Vive), garlicky greens and mashed potatoes. I don’t really like tahini a great deal and even though I love pretty much everything with chickpeas I don’t eat too much hummus because I find that the tahini is often overpowering in it. But...the Sesame Mustard Tahini Sauce is helping to convert me!
It also makes a good sandwich (or pita!) filling the next day when mixed with some Vegenaise.

I bought vegan Worcestershire sauce for the first time so that I could try this recipe. I don’t think I’ve ever had Worcestershire sauce before. I knew it had anchovies in it so I always avoided it. I don’t know what I expected it to taste like but to me it’s just like a spicier and runnier version of HP Sauce. A bit disappointing really...I was hoping for some never-before-tasted kind of flavour...ah well. I’ve just realised now that I’ve eaten Worcestershire sauce flavour crisps before so I have tasted it...kind of! And I just went to the Walkers web site to see if their Worcestershire sauce crisps are vegan and they’re not even listed as one of their flavours. You will be happy to know that their BBQ Rib and Prawn Cocktail flavour crisps are vegan though...hmmmm.

11 comments:

laura k said...

I love the sunflower lentil pie... it was the first recipe I made from Vive, and I need to make it again soon. I'm not too crazy about tahini either, but I like it in some hummus. Have you tried making hummus without it? Maybe you could sub in an different kind of nut butter and come up with something hummus-y but different! I've thought about trying that before...

MeloMeals said...

I really need to make that pie.. everyone raves about it..

Sometimes, I sub natural peanut butter for tahini in hummus.. and it's really good.. (my dog LOVES IT THE MOST)

I also love popcorn and nutritional yeast... mixed with a little braggs, onion powder and cayenne.. mmmmm

bazu said...

Yum! To my eternal shame, I don't have that cookbook (or that many cookbooks)- but that looks and sounds like something I'd want to try.

vko said...

That pie looks delicious and I love a meal that keeps on giving- those pita sandwiches are simply perfect!

Just read through some of your posts and all your food looks delicious.
Really need to try that pancake recipe, but maybe not because looks like I would make them all the time which means I would be eating them all the time...

You mentioned cleaning with Dr.Bronner's in the comment you left me- I use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds to clean at home- just the smell of fresh pine, it's amazing. If you don't like the peppermint for the bath, there's lavender, almond and eucalyptus (which is great when you have a cold)- it's just so great how their soaps lather up, I had no idea what a great product it was because the packaging always looked so crazy , like the ramblings of a psychotic prophet, but then I realized- yes, probably crazy ramblings but all about good things...

KleoPatra said...

That pie must be incredible! I also don't like tahini... bitter to my buds... Pitas make my heart go pitter patter...

scottishvegan said...

Laura, if I make my own hummus I usually just use a small amount of tahini, but I will need to try using nut butter that sounds really interesting and yummy!

Melody, I think I’m definitely going to try the hummus with peanut butter. I hope I like it, because I don’t have a dog to give it to if I don’t :)

Bazu,if you are going to buy any cookbooks in the future I would really recommend Vive. Not only are the recipes great, but you can go along to Dreena’s blog and she is so friendly and helpful and will answer any questions you have.

vko, I know what you mean about the pancakes. My husband demands that I make them every Sunday. At least it’s only once a week, it could be worse! I don’t think I’ve seen Dr Bronner’s Sal Suds, I will need to have a look in the store when my peppermint stuff runs out. The packaging does look crazy...but the stuff inside is good!

kleopatra, that’s so cute... pitas make your heart go pitter patter!

Emmy said...

The Sunflower Lentil Pie looks great. Yet another recipe I haven't tried yet from Vive. My husband would probably eat the Mustard Tahini Sauce...I like tahini but can't stand mustard.

And thanks for visiting my blog :)

hampers said...

It's been a while since this post. But the thought of going veggies is not far fetch as its the IN thing now more than ever. Your sumptuous pie may be more pretty if placed in fabulous food hampers.

Dazy said...

I'm trying this today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not agree on it. I assume polite post. Expressly the title attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.