Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Dinner For One

I might have mentioned before that Wee G can get lunch at work (paid for by the company) and sometimes he gets so much that he brings it home for dinner too. So, when that happens I take the opportunity to make myself something that he wouldn’t want. I came up with this pasta dish with courgettes (zucchini) as he’s not really in to courgettes.

It was so easy and really yummy. It was ready in the time it took to cook the pasta.
So, there I am sitting eating my pasta and Wee G is munching on his pizza (yes, he ordered a WHOLE pizza for lunch!) and he goes:
“That smells good, let me try it”
Grabs fork out my hand.
One mouthful goes in, “Mmmmm”
“You like it?” I ask, but he’s too busy shovelling in the second mouthful.
“Mmmmm” is all I get back.
When he’s on to the fourth mouthful I snatch the fork back, worried I might end up with no dinner.
And Wee G comes to the conclusion, “I don’t mind courgettes, y’know”. No kidding.

Here’s the recipe for one, but you could easily double for two, as I think I will be doing next time.

2 small courgettes (zucchini), sliced
6 cherry tomatoes
½ small avocado
1 small clove garlic
2 tsps lemon juice
2 tsps olive oil
Few basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup wholewheat pasta


Directions

Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
Meanwhile mix remaining ingredients apart from courgettes in a bowl.
Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat and coat with spray oil. Cook courgette slices for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown.
When pasta is done drain and return to pot. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Place over a low heat for a couple of minutes to heat through, stirring often. Serve.

6 comments:

MeloMeals said...

That looks delicious.. I love zukes...love them!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I'll definitely have to try this when baby tomatoes and zucchini are growing in my garden this summer...
The avocado sounds like a truly WONDERFUL addition!

Emmy said...

What a colorful and veggie-packed pasta dish. Looks delish. That's too funny about Wee G trying to eat all of your dinner :)

Jackie said...

What a lovely mix especially with the avo. I must try it.

scottishvegan said...

Melody, I love ‘em too! And I think Wee G is coming round at last…yay!!

tofu mom, I am jealous that you grow tomatoes and zucchini in your garden…that would be great to just nip out to the garden for your veggies!

Emmy, I guess I can’t complain too much about Wee G eating my dinner as now I know I can feed him courgettes without listening to him moan! :)

Jackie, I love that you call avocadoes “’avos”..!! I think I will have to start calling them that!

Sheree' said...

This looks good. My kind of dish. I know that DD and I will love it. DH only pretty much only likes raw veggies.