Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Spag Bol

What do you cook when you need to go shopping and there’s barely a fresh veggie to be seen? In this house spag bol is the meal of choice in that situation. The only fresh veggies required are an onion and some mushrooms (and if things are really dire it can even be made without…I know, I’ve done it). We used to eat this all the time, but have been eating it less since November when I had a wee shopping spree on Amazon and got 6 vegan cookbooks and have been trying out new recipes ever since! But the other night we just fancied a bit of Spag Bol.

According to Wikipedia Italians tend to eat their Ragu alla Bolognese with tagliatelle rather than spaghetti and some sources suggest that Spaghetti Bolgnese is a rather un-Italian invention. As you can see I served my Bolognese with fusilli, but Fus Bol just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
My recipe has varied over the years, but the one below is what I stick with as Wee G and I love it.

Spag Bol (serves 2)

2 tsps Olive Oil
½ medium onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 can tomatoes, diced finely
1½ cups soy mince (soy beef grounds)
½ tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp raw sugar
2 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil
½ cup water

Directions
Heat oil in large pan over medium high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Ad garlic and cook for further one minute. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with whole wheat pasta. Sprinlkle with nutritional yeast if you wish.

This sauce tastes great the next day and can also be used to top a baked potato. You can substitute lentils for the soy mince, if you prefer a less “meaty” tasting Bolognese.

5 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Looks delicious,... pasta is such a comfort food...

urban vegan said...

At first, I thought, "Now there's something I've never heard of." LOL. It took me awhile to figure out what Spag Bol was.

Anonymous said...

Oooo - tabasco in the bolognese. That sounds interesting. We like things a little spicy around here and tend to find marinara sauce a little bland for our tastes. I'll have to try your Spag Bol and see how the family likes it. Thanks for sharing.

scottishvegan said...

Melody, pasta is a great comfort food, and also a fast, easy one!

Urban Vegan, I guess it isn’t so commonly called Spag Bol in the US!

Midwest Vegan, you could definitely increase the Tabasco if you like things spicy.

Sheree' said...

This looks like a wonderful dish! I am printing this one for sure. Thanks for sharing.