Monday, March 26, 2007

Mexican Weekend

On Saturday for dinner I made some Mexican Rice. I got the original recipe from allrecipes.com and adapted it. I love the spices in this and the colours from the tomatoes, green pepper, sweetcorn and green chickpeas. It’s very flavoursome and not too spicy.

Then on Sunday we went out to eat at Sharky’s, a Mexican fast food kind of restaurant nearby. I forgot to take photos, but I had a yummy fajita plate that had spicy tofu, veggies (onions, squash, courgettes), organic rice and beans and guacamole served with flour tortillas. Very tasty and I love that they offer tofu as a fajita/burrito/taco filling.

Mexican Recipe (Serves 2-3)

½ cup brown rice
1 cup water
½ medium onion, diced
2 tsps vegetable oil
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander seed
2 tsps paprika
1 pinch red pepper flakes
¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
1 green pepper
1 can tomatoes, chopped
1 cup frozen, sweetcorn, defrosted
1 cup cooked chickpeas
Salt to taste

Place rice and water in medium pot. Bring to boil and simmer for around 35 minutes until cooked. In a large frying pan heat oil over a medium high heat. Add onions and pepper and cook for around 5 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander seed, paprika and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, Tabasco, sweetcorn and rice and stir through until heated thoroughly. Add salt to taste.

Increase Tabasco and red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.

Serve topped with avocado/guacamole or vegan sour cream and chopped fresh coriander (cilantro).

11 comments:

bazu said...

Mmm... sometimes I really crave Mexican food! When I was in Southern CA, there were so many healthy Mexican restaurants to choose from, I got really spoiled! Your recipe just reminded me that I have an avocado that needs to be used.

MeloMeals said...

Looks delicious.. avoacdo makes everything over the top.

Carrie™ said...

I really like Mexican food. How cool that tofu is an option. Here, if you don't want the meat, they sub beans, which is great, but another choice would be nice. If I make tacos, burritos, etc. at home, I usually use tofu. I could really go for a "bucket of chips & salsa" right now! Only $2.49!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

That's so great to know that Sharkey's has tofu! I love Mexican food. :o)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how you go through kicks on food? I was on an Indian kick and then Mexican this weekend too. Your rice looks great.

Emmy said...

The Mexican Rice looks yummy and very colorful too. Your dinner out sounds great. That rocks you can get tofu as an option. Where we used to live, there was a vegan-friendly Mexican restaurant but we haven't found one here yet.

vko said...

Love that mexican rice- looks so colorful & fresh with that avocado on top- yum.

KleoPatra said...

Ole'! How COOL they serve tofu there at ol' Sharky's! I'm very impressed. I looooooooove Mexican rice. Nice to add the sweet corn and chickpeas. Beautiful, S.V.!

scottishvegan said...

bazu, there are tons of Mexican restaurants where we live...it's great!

melody, thanks!

carrie, Most places here will offer beans too, but I don’t really eat beans so it’s great to have tofu as an option.

vicki, there are quite a few Sharky’s in California…so next time you are here you should try one out!

midwest vegan, perhaps I will go on an Indian kick next too! I am in the mood for some Indian!

Emmy, I hope you find a vegan-friendly Mexican place soon!

vko, I think the colourfulness is the reason I love that rice so much!

kleopatra, it is so cool that Sharky’s sell tofu! If only everywhere else did too! :)

Sheree' said...

Oh how I love Spanish rice. I am glad this is a small recipe. DH does not like it so it is up to me to eat it all! That is not a problem.

Anonymous said...

Family G je technika posilňovania nehnuteľnosť na predaj alebo prenájom, veľmi populárne v zahraničí. Za pár hodín (nanajvýš niekoľko dní), za málo peňazí (spravidla niekoľko sto euro) a bez prílišného narušenia (obmedzenia nepríjemné pocity v prípade, že sú ľudia, ktorí žijú v dome, kým na trhu je) FamilyG dobré domáce veterán je príjemné a útulné prostredie ukazovať čo najväčší počet návštevníkov. Kladie dôraz na pozitívne vlastnosti domu, odstránenie alebo aspoň minimalizáciu malé chyby. Ale nielen to.

Osobnosť vlastníka je "neutralizovať", pokiaľ je to možné. To bude robiť to veľa ľahší Family G pre potenciálnych kupcov, aby si predstaviť seba spokojne žije v týchto priestoroch. A tak bude mať "láska na prvý pohľad, ktorá takmer vždy vedie ku kúpe domu FamilyG.

Ako všetky realitné kancelárie vedieť, dôležité, pretože sa jedná o cenu, veľkosť, plocha, atď. V rozhodnutí o kúpe domov emocionálne vplyv je rozhodujúce, pretože to je dôležitejšie ako kúpa života pre väčšinu Family G ľudí. dobre urobil fotky, ktoré bolo prijaté po intervencii Family G, iste zvýši počet návštevníkov veľký záujem, čo významne zvyšuje šanca na predaj či prenájom v krátkodobom horizonte. Family G je pre súkromné a na realitných maklérov. Ponúka tiež poradenstvo online FamilyG.