Friday, March 16, 2007

More Soup, Biscuits, Stir Fry and Another Eggless Omelette

Even though it’s like the middle of summer here I am still making soup with winter squash... This is Butternut Tomato Soup from How It All Vegan. It’s got a pretty mild taste as the only things flavouring it apart from the veggies are ginger and garlic. It was a nice change from my usual lentil soup.
I made US style biscuits for the first time a few weeks ago and I have started making them quite frequently. They are a bit like savoury scones and are great to have with soup. Plus they only take half an hour (at most) to make. The ones pictured are Fancy Biscuits (with dill and spring onions) from How It All Vegan, but I have also made the regular ones and they are yummy too.
I made another “omelette”, this time with mushrooms, Italian mixed herbs and nutritional yeast added. And again I didn’t add the oil from the original recipe (from VWaV). It was definitely more flavourful than the last one, but also a little flatter because it didn’t have the potatoes and onions to bulk it up. I think I’d like to try again with different veggies. So many variations I could try...
And finally this is a stir fry that I threw together one night for me when Wee G was working late. I wanted to try using up some of my pomegranate molasses that I bought ages ago for making BBQ Pomegranate Tofu so I added it to this stir fry along with soy sauce, garlic and some other stuff that I can’t remember because I didn’t write it down...ooops! I wish I had written it down as it was really nice... I guess I will just have to experiment to see if I can make it again!

11 comments:

laura k said...

I have not made biscuits since I became vegan, though I know I totally could. Those look tasty. I always loved omelettes, and the eggless versions have grown on me quite well. I love experimenting with different add-ins.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I think I can actually smell that sizzling stir fry! Everything you've made looks excellent.

madeinalaska said...

oh my yummyness! I Love stir fry on the fly! I haven't tried pomegranate sauce sounds good to me though!
I have always wanted to try a "omelette" but have been kinda scared.. yours looks awesome! I think it's time to face my fears, eh?

Anonymous said...

Your biscuits look great -- my vegan version always seems a little "flat" to me.

I agree with Jess - with the steam on the photo, I almost felt like I was in the kitchen with you.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Oh all of it looks so...YUM!

I have read, with interest, several versions of "omlettes" blogged here and there lately, and I'm almost ready to try one of them.
However since my kids never liked REAL omlettes all that much, I'll have to just call them "Vegetable-y, Potato-y, Tofu-y Breakfast thingys" and hope that intrigues The Sprouts enough to be willing to try them...

urban vegan said...

I have to try making an eggless omelette. Yours looks so tasty. The soup is warming me up...yum.

scottishvegan said...

laura, even though I’ve never had non-vegan biscuits, I am sure vegan ones are much better so you should make them! :)

jess, thanks!

madeinalaska, don’t be scared of omelettes…they’re not so bad!

midwest vegan, try the biscuits from How It All Vegan if you have the book. I have made them four or five times and they are always really good!

fairly odd tofu mom, I like the name “Vegetable-y, Potato-y, Tofu-y Breakfast thingys”. I think I will have to start calling them that too…!

urban vegan, go on try it!

KleoPatra said...

There's never a bad time for soup, spring, summer, fall, winter... Ginger is always refreshing in a soup, too. I like hat you used that with garlic in the soup. I'll have a stir fry year-round and never think twice, of course. Soup should be the same, don't you think?!

Omelettes the way you make 'em are fantastic!! Anytime you use mushrooms in an "omelette," you really can't go wrong. I'm a little bit of a newbie with the nutritional yeast... i don't know why i'm kind of afraid of it. I guess i just don't know that much about it, other than it adds a cheezy flavour...

Sheree' said...

I want biscuits! Yours look wonderful. What a neat idea to make them in the muffin tin. I am for sure going to make them. I love biscuits.

scottishvegan said...

kleopatra, you’re right there can never be a bad time to eat soup! I didn’t even like nutritional yeast the first time I used it. I put it in a smoothie and it was disgusting. I think it’s best in hot things that it can kind of “melt” in to. If you have Vegan With a Vengeance try the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy, NY is great in that!

veg-a-nut, I would love to tell you that I came up with the genius idea of using a muffin tin to make my biscuits, but it tells you do that in How It All Vegan!!

vko said...

You inspired me to make "omelettes"! Mine didn't look as perfect as yours, well, mine also a different recipe, but was super tasty.

Had been looking for something different from scrambled tofu for breakfast.

I heart the omelettes!