Sunday, January 21, 2007

Macaroni Cheese

Last week I went in to the Follow Your Heart store (home of Follow Your Heart Gourment Cheese and Vegenaise ) as it’s really near me. I don’t actually shop there often as I think it’s expensive and I can buy Vegenaise in Whole Foods which I go in to all the time. I bought some of their vegan cheese as I have read so much about it on the internet. Everyone seems to love it so I thought I would get myself some and see what the fuss is about. To be honest I don’t miss cheese as a vegan so I’ve not been tempted to buy it before. I used some last week in my Cheddar Oat Griddle Biscuits and decided to try and make some macaroni cheese with it tonight. I think it looks a little too orangey, but it actually tastes pretty good and very much like “real” macaroni cheese. Wee G commented that it actually tastes a little “too cheesy”...ha ha!!! The pasta I used was Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta. We usually have wholewheat pasta so this was a nice change. It’s a little lighter than wholewheat pasta and a bit more suited to macaroni cheese. It cooks very fast. The packet says 4-6 minutes. I checked it at 4 minutes and it was not ready, but by 5 it was really soft and I think I had actually over cooked it as it began breaking apart a little when I mixed the cheese sauce in. I served it with some garlic bread and peas.

No comments: