Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chocolate Rice Puff Treats


A while ago I bought a bag of Organic Rice Puffs thinking they would be like Rice Krispies, but they are soft and chewy rather than crispy (hence the reason they are called puffs and not kripsies I guess ) They are more like Sugar Puffs, but without the sugar. If I had looked at them more closely in the bag while in the store I would have probably realised this, but never mind. Anyway I am not too keen on them so today I decided to find a way to use them up a bit faster and came up with this recipe. Mind you, I only used 1 cup for the whole recipe so this isn’t exactly going to use them up in a hurry...


In an effort to make these a semi healthy treat I added pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and raisins. They are quite yummy and the recipe only made 12 so I don’t think they will last too long!

Recipe
1 cup Rice Puffs
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup raisins (soaked in hot water for about 10 mins, then drained)
¼ cup almonds (roughly chopped)
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds

Method
1 Combine chocolate chips and maple syrup in microwaveable bowl and microwave for about a minute on medium heat.
2 Meanwhile combine all other ingredients in a large bowl.
3 Add melted chocolate chip mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
4 Divide mixture between 12 cup cases.
5 Cool in fridge for 3-4 hours.
6 Enjoy.

No comments: