Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Winter Celery, Potato and Mushroom Soup with Cheddar Oat Griddle Biscuits



This is from Vegetarian Soups For All Seasons by Nava Atlas. The weather has been cold (well, for here) lately so I wanted to make some kind of warm wintery soup and as this has winter in the name it seemed to fit the bill. I really like barley so that was an added incentive (I know barley is not in the name, but there’s some in there!). I pretty much stuck to the recipe apart from adding salt-free seasoning. I don’t generally buy stuff like that (I bought some Spike before and wasn’t crazy about it) so I made my own little mixture and added that. It turned out pretty good. I guess it could turn out a whole variety of ways considering the variety of flavours you could get in salt-free seasoning.

I also made Cheddar Oat Griddle Biscuits also from the same book. I think I cut them a little thick and they would be nicer thinner. Even though I halved the salt in the recipe (which I do with most recipes as I don’t like salty things) these turned out very salty. They were salty enough for Wee G to comment on the fact and he likes his food salty. The margarine and soy cheese added enough salt and if I made them again I would not add any additional salt at all.

No comments: